Technology BYOD System Requirements
BLHS Student Laptop Requirements
Be sure to back up your files daily. You can use your Microsoft 365 OneDrive, another type of cloud storage, like Google Drive, or an external hard disk, but whichever method you choose, be sure to back up your work frequently to avoid problems down the line.
Some classes, such as those using graphics intensive software such as Adobe Photoshop, may require additional RAM or disk space or may require a version of the operating system higher than what is generally required.
- Updated: 8/1/2023: Mac OS must be 11.0 Big Sur or higher (13 Ventura recommended)
- Updated: 11/10/2021: The Microsoft Surface Laptop SE is not approved for use
- Updated: 4/15/2021: Wireless network adapter must support 5Ghz networks (also known as Wi-Fi standard 802.11ac)
- Update: 8/21/2020 - Mac OS must be 10.13 High Sierra or higher (10.15 Catalina recommended)
- Updated June 2019: Windows 10 in "S" mode is not permitted. Students must be able to load software.
- Updated: 8/18/2018 - Minimum RAM increased (given recent experiences with Windows 10)
- Updated: 4/1/2018 - Please pay attention to minimum hard disk sizes; the inexpensive HP Stream comes with a 32GB hard disk which will not suffice for our purposes.
The most important thing about a student's personal laptop is that they are comfortable using it. We are here to help but we cannot train the student on how to use their device. We will provide support with connectivity to our network and other campus-related resources. It is imperative that the student have backups of all their files (we suggest using the OneDrive that comes with their school-supplied Microsoft 365 subscription and that they have current anti-virus and anti-malware, with updated definition files, installed and running regularly).
Chromebooks, Microsoft Surface Laptop SE, and iPads, including the iPad Pro, are not permitted as primary devices. You must have a Windows or Mac laptop as your primary device and the student must be able to load software without parental intervention.
We're here to help! Email FriarNET@bishoplynch.org for technology assistance.