Skip To Main Content

Mission and Tradition

Established September 3, 1963

Bishop Lynch High School opened its doors in the fall of 1963, with 365 freshmen and sophomores. Named after Bishop Joseph P. Lynch, who served the Diocese of Dallas from 1911-1954, Bishop Lynch High School has grown to a total enrollment of over 1,150 students from all areas of the Metroplex.

We Are Bishop Lynch

In the early sixties, on the far eastern side of Dallas, a few enterprising parish pastors and parents founded a high school intended to serve a wide diversity of children – budding scholars and those with learning differences, athletes and thespians. All who sought truth and knowledge were welcomed. From this early vision has grown a truly outstanding Catholic educational institution. Twice awarded the U.S. Department of Education’s Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence, Bishop Lynch High School now stands shoulder to shoulder with the very best private schools serving the youth of Dallas and its suburban communities.

In 1962, construction began on the high school. Located at 9750 Ferguson Road at Peavy, Bishop Lynch High School included four wings: the girls’ division; the boys’ division; the science laboratories; and the administration offices, gymnasium, and cafeteria. The 22-acre campus also allowed room for expansion to include two athletic fields. Staffed and administered by Dominican priests and sisters from 1963 to 1982, classes began in the fall of 1963 with 365 freshman and sophomores enrolled, construction of the plant continued. On Sunday, December 20, 1964, Bishop T.K. Gorman officiated at the dedication ceremony. In May of 1966, the first senior class of 103 students was graduated. In 1969, Roffino Stadium was completed, fulfilling a dream that began with the opening of the school.

Our journey began with a mission - a mission of creating an educational institution that would not only prepare students for academic success but also nurture their spiritual development and instill values that would guide them throughout their lives. 

Our Heritage and History

The Tradition of the Friar

Although the look may have changed through the years, the symbol of the Friar has become an important part of Bishop Lynch tradition. Originally seen as a round face, jovial character, the Friar began to undergo some changes in the mid-1980s. Many of the sports teams adopted a more bulked-up version of the mascot in order to intimidate opponents. Later, in the early 1990s, the Friar's image was toned down a bit. Several years ago, the current image of the friar was adopted showing a confident and up-to-date mascot.